INDIA, a country where 4% of children never start school, 58% don’t complete primary school, 90% don’t complete secondary schools and only 10% go onto college. What is going to happen to that 90 %?
This is where E-Learning will come into the game. No matter what your reason is for your study break, you can gain knowledge!! You can gain wisdom!! You can grow even along with family & work!!!
All you need is an urge-to-learn! And if you are teaching you need Tutewise App 😉
Keep on reading below….
What is e-Learning?
E-Learning is nothing but a flavor of learning where the educational curriculum is covered outside a traditional classroom, using E-technologies i.e. electronic media. This type of learning is also known by the name “online learning & computer-based learning”.
We can define eLearning as courses which are delivered via the internet. It is not a course which is delivered by DVD or CD-ROM or over a TV channel, instead, it is an interactive flavor of learning where both the learner & instructor can communicate. Further, these e-courses have two flavors:
- Live – Where interaction can be done in real time.
- Prerecorded – where interaction is possible through questions which are later answered.
Now, you may have a question in mind “WHY it Emerged? What is the Need?”
Well!! As it is always said, “Necessity is the mother- of- invention”. Therefore, here I am trying to jot down a few points about its need:
- One can grab knowledge from any part of the world. For example, if someone wants to learn at a university in the USA by sitting in India.
- Sometimes even employee of a company need training about a current topic, that can be done easily from the place of their choice. No need to go to a specific country or office place.
- Often it is said that each individual has their own learning potentials. So, courses are designed in such a way that people can progress slowly or at a place convenient to them.
- Also one can analyze their potential using evaluation tools like puzzles or MCQ’s.
- It is needed for an interactive learning worldwide.
Advantages of e-Learning
Although, eLearning has plenty of advantages if one can maintain the necessary self-discipline but here I am trying to write down a few points:
- Learning around Work & Family: Prior, before the invention of eLearning it was impossible to learn something new for an individual having a job and family due to lack of time. But eLearning has revolutionized the whole scenario of learning. One can learn if he/she has an urge to do so by managing time intervals.
- Saving Travel Cost & Time: It reduces travel time as well as the cost of travel for the off-campus students.
- Learning at your own Pace: It is always possible that someone understand fast whereas another person understands slowly. With the paced learning modules, student can work according to their own speed.
- Study anytime-anywhere: This flavour of learning allows you to study from the place & time of your own choice. Just you need is a smart device with internet connection.
- Flexible queries & Discussion: One can flexibly join a discussion in the bulletin board at any hour.
- Repetitive Learning: No problem if you can’t understand something in a single-go, you can keep on repeating the point you are not able to understand.
Future of e-Learning in India
e-Learning Programs by Indian Government
SWAYAM i.e. Study Web of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds is a program initiated by the Indian govt. with the agenda “EDUCATED INDIA, PROGRESSED INDIA”. The whole program is designed to achieve the three cardinal principles of education policy:
The program bridges the gap between knowledge & people who have not been able to join the mainstream of the knowledge economy.
This education delivery is done through IT platform that facilitates the hosting of all the courses, taught in the classroom from 9th standard to postgraduate courses to be assessed by anyone, anywhere & anytime. All the courses are available free of cost to the residents of India & are prepared by more than 1000 faculty members chosen from best institutions across the country.
The courses are available in 4 quadrants:
- Video lecture.
- Specially prepared reading material that can be downloaded/printed.
- Self -assessments tests through quizzes and online-test.
- Online discussion forum for clearing doubts.
Courses are prepared under 9 national coordinators to ensure the quality. They are:
- AICTE- For self-paced and international courses
- NPTEL- For engineering
- UGC- For Non-technical post-graduation education
- CEC- for Under-graduate education
- NCERT and NIOS- For School education.
- IGNOU- For out of the school students
- IIM-B- For Management Studies
All the courses are available free of cost and a fee is charged in case you need a certification.
Best e-Learning Platforms
Udemy: – An online education site that top the list of eLearning resources, with 55000 courses in all source of different topics. Some of the courses are free while some are available at a low cost of $12. One can also become an instructor with UDEMY and take advantage of their massive user base to attract students.
Coursera: – If one wants to get knowledge from over 140 of the country’s top universities like STANDFORD & UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN and organizations, it is the best choice. You can find over 2000 paid and unpaid courses in over 180 fields in various niches.
Lynda: – owned by LinkedIn, it is a popular educational hub for professionals. When you sign up with LYNDA, you get a 30-day free trial and then you’ll be charged $20 a month for a basic membership or $30 for a premium membership.
With more than 370 million internet users, online education has picked-up pace, as education in India is no longer set in the boundaries of the classroom. According to analysis, India is now the 3rd largest online market for education in the world. In fact, online education helps people in India where only 10% go for higher education, to complete their education which they were unable to do, due to dearth of resources either financially or anything personal. Some due mental constraints can’t get knowledge fully in the classroom and even shy to ask their queries, also find online education best. Lastly, for growth one has to keep on learning new, which is now possible for everyone who is working. E-learning is the best way for those who have the urge to push their boundaries, especially in a country like India where technical education is expensive & economy is on growth. All these reasons prove that E-learning has a great scope in INDIA & it has a long way to go.
Worry not!! Keep on learning!! Anytime Anywhere!!!!